Got Mill Finish?
Aluminum is lightweight, and not strong enough to be used in heavy and important parts of hardware or castings.
However, as it is a good conductor of heat and electricity and can resist the process of rusting, aluminum alloys, which incorporate aluminum with other substances such as steel, zinc, brass, copper, etc, modify selected properties of aluminum to make it more efficient and enhance its strength.
Aluminum alloys are also nonmagnetic and are given a certain kind of temper designation to signify that they have undergone some changes, which have led to better potency and stiffness.
The addition of different substances also adds different qualities to the aluminum alloy. Some enable deterioration prevention, while others make it wear resistant.
6061 Mill Finish Aluminum
- The alloys falling in this category are machinable and stronger.
- They are found in the length of 12’ 15’ 20’ 25’.
- The 6061 T6 has the yield strength of 40,000 psi and 4 times greater strength compared to 6063.
- 6061 is easier to machine as it prevents clogging with other parts such as end-mill.
- If you are looking for a yield product such as threaded rod, mobile phones, and handheld devices, 6061 is the right choice.
- The elongation percentage of the alloy is 12%.
- These are heat treatable and oppose stress corrosion cracking.
- To make them look good appearance wise, chemical and mechanical finishes are used on it such as; smooth satin matte finish, classic brushed finish, and mirrored bright finish.
- Any color can be directly applied to the coil, which eradicates the finishing step.
- The chemical composition of 6061 is; 0.4 – 0.8% silicon, 0.7% iron, 0.15 – 0.4% copper, 0.15% manganese, 0.8 – 1.2% magnesium, 0.04 – 0.35% chromium, 0.25% zinc, 0.15% titanium, and other elements are between 0.05 and 0.15% with 95.85 – 98.56% of aluminum.
6063 Mill Finish Aluminum
- These alloys are softer.
- They are available in 20’ 24’ lengths.
- Their level of yield strength is 16,000 psi.
- 6063 is mostly used by individuals for complicated shapes.
- For this reason, the machining in it is not greater in number comparatively.
- Yield and tensile strength is also lesser in the 6063 T6.
- The elongation percentage in this alloy is 22%.
- It has the temper of T52 with an unpolished surface.
- This alloy has the standard tolerance that meets the standards of SAE Aerospace Material Specifications AMS-QQ-A-200/9.
- The chemical composition of 6063 is; 0.2 – 0.6% silicon, 0.35% iron, 0.10% copper and manganese, 0.45 – 0.9% magnesium, 0.10% chromium, zinc and titanium; and other elements in the range of 0.05% to 0.15%, leaving the remainder of aluminum.
Aluminum is the best material as it is eco friendly and can be recycled. The conservation process also requires 95% lesser energy and the greenhouse gas production is also 95% lesser compared to the production of metal from a completely new material.
An estimate of 75% of the aluminum production from 1888 is still in use to date. So, to order either of the above mentioned mill finish aluminum, you can contact AMD SUPPLY LLC.